This lesson is devised for students joining a Homelingua home tuition course. As a pre-arrival activity, we survey some students asking them for ‘the ten things they most associate with the UK’. If we have sent this and it has been returned by the student, we will send the student’s responses to you before the start of the course.
The answers can give you a ready made first lesson and this is a sample lesson on how to make use of the material.
Time: approx 30 mins
Level: All levels, with suitable adjustments for very low levels
Age: 16 upwards
Objective: to provoke an interesting discussion with plenty of question practice, as well as finding out more about your student’s interests and plans.
1. Make sure you have your student’s associations list to hand. First see if they can remember their list. Now both look at the list (2 mins)
2. Ask if your student would like to add anything to or change anything about their list (2 mins)
3. Ask them to try to select their top 3 strongest associations (4 mins)
4. Ask why they chose those particular 3 (5 mins)
5. Ask your student to guess your top 3 associations with their own country (5 mins)
6. Discuss where we get our associations from e.g. adverts, stereotypes, own travels, films etc (7 mins)
7. Ask if there are any British things they would like to see or do during their stay e.g. have an afternoon tea with scones, eat fish and chips, ride on a double decker bus etc (3 mins)
8. Think about how you could help make the above happen (4 mins)