This online course introduces the field of applied linguistics and how it relates to disciplines including linguistics and language teaching.
You’ll explore real-world examples of applied linguistics, such as forensic linguistics and language assessment. You’ll look at the field’s impact on important issues – for example, reducing gender bias in language use and simplifying legal language.
You’ll find out what applied linguists do through a series of case studies. Specialists will work through problems and show you applied linguistic research methods to solve them.
What topics will you cover?
- Have you ever met an applied linguist?
- Language and the big decisions in life
- Inspiring language learning
- The social role of pronunciation
- Investigating language in use
- Joining the Applied Linguistics and TESOL community at Leicester